Reflecting on the past decade there were highs and lows. The highs included getting married on 17 March 2010 – and then again on 20 March in Mozambique with family and friends; Travelling to Europe, Egypt, Ireland, Thailand, The Maldives and Zanzibar with my husband and Reunion Island with my parents, hubby and Lexa; Having 2 kids via surrogacy; Adopting my cat, Sandton; The lows included the 6 years of fertility treatments and all the hell that went with that; Saying goodbye to my cat, Genie, after 16 years of companionship; Losing my mom to cancer.
My biggest goal this year is to find my happy. It won’t be an ordinary happy that I can find in owning things or even to explore a new destination. This happy needs a holistic approach.
Life is a journey, and if you fall in love with the journey, you will be in love forever.Peter Hagerty
Roadmap to a Happier Me Challenge
I’m going to set goals for a specific time frame that I can measure – just like I would do in business. (If you don’t know by now I have a marketing consultancy called Geek Media and we specialise in digital marketing, social media management and content marketing.) I will be publishing a weekly plan that you can also follow.
The Roadmap to a Happier Me Challenge will address mind, body and soul. There will be a weekly challenge with attainable little goals. I’m hoping that you will join me and find a part of you that you may have forgotten about or lost while adulting. You can expect:
- Learn and upskill. I have purchased 12 courses through Udemy that either relates to my business or services and also 2 interests – and I have a Google course lined up.
- Finish a book. I have started so many books in 2019 and all of them are still there with a bookmark. It is kind of ridiculous.
- Read a dictionary. You might not know this about me, but I love words, playing Scrabble and writing, so reading a dictionary is like sprinkles on a cake for me.
- Me-time and self-care is high on my priority list this year. I want to do 1 thing a week that is just for me.
- Exercise more. 2 kids, growing a business and hospitals/medical centres featured a lot in my life the past few years – and it has taken all my time and energy. This year I want to spend 20 minutes a day on exercise.
- Stretch and clear my mind. In my heyday I was quite a hurdler and one of the ways I calmed my nerves before a race was to stretch and regulate my breathing. Repeated actions of stretching and breathing are common in yoga and even while gymming.
- Reconnect with family and friends. I am the youngest child and was closest to my mom and right now I feel a bit on the outside of my close family – I want to change that. I want to make time to talk to my BFFs more – even if it is via Whatsapp or email.
- Letting go. We all carry toxic relationships or hold onto anger – and making ourselves unhappy at the same time.
- Get creative or write again. I used to write a lot of poetry, it’s something I enjoyed and was encouraged to do by my mom and (named) gran. During this challenge I am going to give you suggestions of diy craft projects.
- Bank good karma. I’m not religious in any way so this is as far as good deeds/paying it forward goes in my life, but if you practice a religion this would also be good for your soul.
My end goal is to live the life that I was meant to – to be happier, to know myself again and to be able to live my life as if there are no obstacles.
Let me know if you are joining in on my Roadmap to a Happier Me Challenge – and invite a friend. If you are joining, write down what you would like to achieve at the end of this challenge.
- Find out why I’m doing the Roadmap to a Happier Me Challenge
- Roadmap to a Happier Me Challenge: Week 1 Bank Good Karma
- Roadmap to a Happier Me Challenge: Week 2 Letting Go
- Roadmap to a Happier Me Challenge: Week 3 Appreciation & Gratitude
- Roadmap to a Happier Me Challenge: Week 4 Listen & Be Heard
- Roadmap to a Happier Me Challenge: Week 5 Balance