Inspired by Disney’s locally produced live action show Disney’s Cookabout – we are sharing with you some of our healthy and oh-so delicious recipes that were featured on the recent season of the show. The cooking show sees kids learn where our food comes from, visiting farms around the country before heading back to the kitchen to learn to cook with the ingredients. This recipe was inspired by a visit to the Shangana Cultural Village in Hazyview, Mpumalanga.
RECIPE: Christine Capendale
IMAGES: Anita Reed/Disney Channel
- 80 g organic peanut butter
- 90 ml coconut milk
- 15 ml lime juice
- 5 ml freshly grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2,5 ml ground cumin
- 2,5 ml curry powder
- 2,5 ml paprika
- Pinch of chili flakes
- 1 ml salt
- Black pepper
- 300 g chicken tenderloins or chicken fillet
- 4 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- Toasted peanuts for garnishing
- 50 ml white vinegar (use apple cider vinegar preferably)
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 30 ml honey
- 2,5 ml salt
- 5 ml chopped dill
- 150 g sliced baby cucumbers
- 30 ml spring onions, thinly sliced
- Mix together the peanut butter, coconut milk, lime juice, ginger, garlic and the spices.
- Mix well and reserve half of the marinade for dipping.
- Marinate the chicken in the other half of the sauce.
- Place in a Ziploc bag and toss well to coat the chicken – leave it in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Thread the chicken onto the soaked skewers.
- Heat a griddle pan on medium heat and cook the skewers on both sides until cooked and golden brown.
- Serve with the reserved marinade and the pickled cucumbers. Garnish with the toasted peanuts